Sunday, June 1, 2008

best time with a reliever

It was cold; although the sun on the horizon told me the day had the potential to be absolutely brilliant and sunny.
I was sitting with my back against the wall, the teacher was always late, which left the class I was in standing outside chatting and disrupting the other classes around them. Many times annoyed teachers had found there way into the classroom and let us wait inside for our teacher to come.
Finally the door opened and a raging rush of students would squeeze through the door and take there seats.
The thing that I find most strange in a class with no seating plan is that even thou there isn’t one the students tended to make there own by always sitting in the same seats.
I settled into my own mentally allocated seat and pulled out my math book. (We were doing algebra yuck, but to my surprise I was actually O.K at it)
When I looked up I saw we had a reliever and all our work had been scrawled across the board.
I got up and walked slowly over to where the books were kept, this was routine, the people who also sat at my table rarely did anything at all excepted copy off me. This irritated me like rash that you no you’re not supposed to scratch but you do it any way. My question is how do you say no? I didn’t have a clue I just told myself that it wasn’t me who was going to get the bad marks for most of my exams.
Things were going normally plenty of talking a few bits of paper flung across the room, but people were getting a good amount of work done.
“You have been working extremely well, so I’ve decided to take you all out for a game” informed the reliever.
Who never actually told us her name?
The classes walked slowly outside and listened to the instructions.
As we began to play I let my mind wander in to what our original teacher would have thought if she saw us playing a game. It was very difficult to think what she would do? How would she handle it?
Would she leave or make us go inside to finish off the lesson.
These silly little thoughts were washed completely from my mined when my turn came around to play the game.
There were two lines each with an equal amount of people number from one to thirteen and when your number is called you race against the person from the other side whose number matches yours. You race for an item in the middle and who ever can get it and get back to the line with out being tagged by the opposite player (The one who didn’t reach the item) is the winner.
It was a childish game, but fun to race against people from my class, better than math’s any day.
I enjoyed myself that math’s lesson, and I hope that one day it will happen again.
I promised myself that I would never forget that lesson and it will be filed in my brain for years and years to come.
Because of that reliever math’s was made interesting. Even thou I don’t know her name I will always remember her face and her short white afro that was growing from her head.

No comments: